Image Map

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

If Only Finding a Job Was as Easy as Finding Volunteer Positions

Still nothing on the job front.  I've looked and looked and looked, but without a bar admission and without some experience I am pretty much undesirable as a potential employee.  This bugs me.  People who had the grades got hired before we even graduated.  I know that they had the grades which means they are smart, but what about practical experience, doesn't that count for something?  Those with the top grades weren't the ones who have already been in front of a judge multiple times for hearings, they weren't the ones who represented real life clients, and they weren't the ones who have written motions, drafted pleadings, filed petitions, etc.  They were the ones who wrote memos and did the more academic research.  Now I've done all of those things and I still don't have a job.  Yes I am volunteering for the AG's office which is awesome experience, but it's not a paying job.  And I NEED a paying job because loans will come due and I need a new car desperately.  The AG's office job may materialize into something, but only if I pass the bar.  If I don't pass the bar then I've got BIG problems.  So everyone, keep your fingers crossed that I pass the first time around.

In other news, I am now the Philadelphia Chi Omega Chapter's Panhel Rep for the PA Alumni Pahnhellenic.  I'm pretty excited that I was given this opportunity because not only is it an AWESOME way to get re-involved in Chi Omega, but hopefully it will provide me with some valuable networking so that I can actually get a job in this area and not have to consider moving back home to my parent's.  I always wanted to be the Panhel rep when I was at Bucknell, but never had the opportunity because I went abroad, so I'm super excited that I am going to get to do this now!

I also submitted my volunteer application to the Make-a-Wish Foundation, so hopefully I hear back from them soon and can continue to get involved in all these wonderful organizations.  If I don't have a job, at least I'm doing my part to help out by volunteering!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!! Let me know what you are thinking and I promise I will get back to you!