Image Map

Monday, March 3, 2014

International Badge Day and Being a Chi Omega

{via}
Today is International Badge Day for sorority women all across the globe.  International Barge day was started in 1997 by the National Panhellenic Conference (N.P.C. for short) as a way for sorority women to wear their badge and celebrate their Greek pride.  All NPC women are encourage to wear their badge over their heart today to show their pride in being part of a Greek Organization.  Although today is a snowy day over here in West Chester and it doesn't look like I am going out anywhere, I am still rocking wearing my badge in honor of being a proud Chi Omega.


No make up, lazy day selfie while rocking my Chi Omega Badge for International Badge Day
Joining Chi Omega was one of the best decisions I ever made while I was in college (second to deciding to date M).  While joining Chi Omega was not the easiest decision I ever made... especially after being cut from Alpha Chi (where my mom, aunt, grandma, and great aunt were all legacies)... it is definitely a decision I will never regret.  I am proud to be a Chi Omega... always have been and always will be.

Not everyone understands my decision to pledge a sorority... in fact some people even saw it as me "buying friends" but I would like to say that is not the case at all.  Sure some of my best friends are my sorority sisters... but some of them I was friends with before joining the Chi Mu chapter of Chi Omega at Bucknell... and then some of them I didn't become friends with until long after graduating.  So I didn't join a sorority to make friends... why did I join?

I joined Chi Omega because I liked what they stood for.  I joined Chi Omega because the sisters were super involved with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.  I joined Chi Omega in hopes of growing as a person.  One of the things I loved about Chi Omega was their symphony.


I fee like the Chi Omega Symphony embodies a lot of what I was looking for.  The values that Chi Omegas hold near and dear to their hearts were things that I valued.  Chi Omegas "flourish" in all aspects of their life and that was a group that I knew I wanted to be a part of.   I wanted to be part of a group of women who always tried their best, who always were there to lend a helping hand, who valued the same things that I did.  Now I don't mean to say that we were a bunch of stuck up sorority women... trust me, we knew how to have a good time... but we also knew when we needed to be serious.

My Pledge Sisters
Joining Chi Omega was more than just about meeting friends. It is about having sisters who will last a lifetime.  It is about embodying our symphony and striving to live each day keeping it in mind.  It is about keeping her welfare "ever at heart".  Chi Omega also wasn't just a college thing... being in a sorority lasts long after you have graduated.  Though I may be closest to the sisters from Chi Mu, I have made tons of other Chi Omega friends through being in the Philadelphia Area Alumnae Chapter as well as being an advisor for the Iota Lambda Chapter of Chi Omega at Villanova. Through all of these groups I have met an amazing group of women who I am PROUD to call my sisters. Chi Omega truly does last a lifetime.

*Chi Omega Yours Forever*

Chi Mu Sisters at my Wedding
Throw What You Know
As always, today I am thankful for all of my Chi Omega sisters both from the Chi Mu chapter and those who I have become friends with along the way.  I made some lifelong friends through Chi Omega who have been there for me through all of life's ups and downs.  They  have been there for my lowest moments, but have also been there for the highest moments.  Two of my sisters even stood up with me as I married the love of my life.  I can't imagine my life without these ladies and I am so thankful every day to be part of such a wonderful organization not just through my college years but also as an alumnae.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!! Let me know what you are thinking and I promise I will get back to you!