Image Map

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Homecooking at its Finest... Chicken Pot Pie

It's been an awfully long time since I have done a recipe post around these parts.  Now don't get me wrong, M and I still pretty much cook ALL THE TIME, but recently we just haven't been making "blog worthy" recipes.  We have been doing quick and easy meals (read: baked pasta, stir fry, salmon and rice, etc.) because honestly we have been so INCREDIBLY busy, that taking the time to make something so I can post it up here for all you lovely readers has not been top priority.  That being said, we did make an AMAZING chicken pot pie the other week and I managed to take a few pictures of it so that I could share it with everyone!  So here we go...

Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
20oz. bag of frozen mixed veggies (we used a Wegman's mix of carrots, corn, green beans and peas)
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1 3/4 c. chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
2 - 9" unbaked pie crusts


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. In large saucepan combine frozen veggies and chicken.  Add water to cover and let boil for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat, drain and set aside

3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt butter.

4. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed.
5. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk

6. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.  Remove from heat and set aside.

7. Place one of the pie crusts in the bottom of the pie plate.  Place the chicken mixture in the crust.
Proof that the hubs actually does help me cook!

 


8. Pour the hot mixture over the chicken.

9. Cover with top crust, seal edges and cut away excess dough.  Cut several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

10. Bake in the preheated over for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.  Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

11. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!! Let me know what you are thinking and I promise I will get back to you!